How to Create a Daily Schedule and Have a Successful Day
Creating a sense of routine in the household is an important part of creating positive behavioral outcomes. Having a routine in place with a set of specific expectations gives everyone a better chance of having a successful day. Here are a few tips for easily incorporating an effective daily schedule.
- Set time aside to create a schedule. Sometimes it will be appropriate to include older children in the planning process.
- Create a list of activities that need to be completed. Also, remember required activities such as
- Create a list with your children of the fun activities that they want to do that can be incorporated into the schedule.
- Create a schedule using a format that best works for your child that may include words pictures and/or objects
- Structure the schedule to alternate between required activities and fun activities to create
- Keep the schedule in a visible area for both parents and children allowing for independence
and adult guidance.
Things to Remember When Implementing Your Schedule
- Create fun ways to complete less preferred activities. For example, hide treats around areas that need to be cleaned.
- Be flexible with schedule changes if unexpected events occur. Show your child how to cope with adjustments.
- Teach new daily living skills, such as how to vacuum and wiping tables.